Dedicated to Fausto Levi, who created it with devoted efforts and labour, the Jewish Museum located in Soragna gathers and preserves relics belonging to the eight extinct communities of Parma states, thus perpetuating their memory.
In its seven sections are kept documents from 1555 to 1803, papal scrolls, relics of the communities of Cortemaggiore, Fiorenzuola and Soragna, photos of ancient synagogues, documents of racial laws dating back to 1938, a collection of precious ritual and cult objects and ancient prayer books dating from 16th to 19th century.
Opened in October 1855, the neoclassical Synagogue of Soragna is decorated by elegant columns, corinthian stuccoes by A. Rusca and ornaments on the ceiling depicting floral motifs. Inside, where sacred and ritual objects are kept, portals of the Holy Ark containing scrolls of the Bible, a matroneum in golden bronze and a huge chandelier create an evocative atmosphere, enhanced by the light radiating from the large windows and lunettes on the eastern wall.
In an adjoining room is a late 17th century fireplace with an interesting portrayal of the Sacrifice of Isaac, something of a rarity in the iconoclastic Hebrew art.
The Synagogue bears valuable witness of the eight Communities of the Parma States, which came into existence in the 15th century and are now extinct.