Santa Maria degli Angeli church

Via Provesi, 39/a - 43011 - Busseto (PR)

Opening times

Wintertime: from 7.45am to 11.45am and from 3pm to 6pm
Summertime: from 7.45am to 11.45am and from 4pm to 7pm


free entrance


The Gothic church and the Franciscan monastery are located at the south-west of Busseto, where they were built between 1470 and 1474 by Pallavicini and Gianludovico Pallavicini, sons of Orlando il Magnifico.

Inside, in a niche covered with rocks there is Compianto sul Cristo morto by Guido Mazzoni (1476-77), a masterpiece of Emilian sculpture of the fifteenth century, eight life-size figures in polychrome terracotta, two of which are related to the physiognomy to customers, made with extraordinary psychological insight and emotional intensity that the recent restoration has helped to enhance.
Deserve a mention also the fresco with
Cristo caduto sotto lo croce by Abbot Nicholas (1543-44 cc) and the painting Madonna e santi francescani by Antonio Campi (1580 cc).