The parish churches took on great importance for the villages, becoming points of reference for religious life, so much so that for many centuries they remained the only buildings with a baptismal font and cemetery. Today the parishes have become the symbol of the religious history of Parma and, due to their location in panoramic points, they represent an excellent opportunity for walks and excursions to discover hidden and suggestive corners.
The parish churches of the mountains:
Parish church of Beduzzo: isolated on a mountain top this church dating to 1735 is named after San Prospero and presents a round apse, a long nave and four sid chapels.
Climbing up the mountain the remains of the parish church of Corniglio are still visible.
Parish church of Castrignano: dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, this is one of the oldest parish churches owned by both municipalities and bishops until feuds were abolished. In the interior, a sandstone baptismal font is supported by a corinthian capital.
Parish church of Cozzano: recorded in documents since the 10th century and named after the Saints Bartolomeo and Martino, it was largely refurbished around 1830, almost cancelling its original Romanesque features. Nowadays just a few remains are left of the three apses, one of which was knocked down to make space for the bell tower.
Parish church of Scurano: for many centuries the bone of contention between church and state, Parma and the Este family, this parish near the river Enza named after Saints Ippolito and Cassiano still preserves its Romanesque roots only in the three naves plan, the facade and most of all in the 11th century stone inserted in a pillar of the interior.
Parish church of Tizzano: strikingly similar in style and origins to the parish churches of Bardone and Sasso, the parish of the times of Matilde, dating to 10th-11th century and named after San Pietro, is situated on a high spot and totally made of square stones. Its main features are the three naves and Burgundian bell tower. Worth noticing the bell, one of the oldest in the whole episcopal area of Parma, dating to 1360.