Talignano - 43038 - Sala Baganza (PR)
Phone: +39 0521331342
from April to October 31 open the third Sunday from 3pm to 6pm; on July, August and September open the third Sunday from 4pm to 7pm.
On weekdays open only by reservation tel. +39 0521331342 or 3661510152.
free entrance; entrance with guided tour euros 2,00.
The Parish church devoted to St. Biagio it situated on top of a hill surrounded by woods, less than a kilometre away from the Park of Carrega.
The small building dates back to 1200AD and was recorded in documents since 1230AD.
It was annexed to the nearby Cistercian monastery, La Rocchetta, located on the slopes of the Prinzera Mountain, of which there are no remains today, and it included a hospice for pilgrims following the Francigena road.
The Parish church is particularly noteworthy thanks to the lunette on the façade portal, depicting the weighing of souls, an unusual iconographic topic in Italy but widespread in the Spanish and French Romanesque churches along the pilgrims’ way to Santiago de Compostela, a sign of the contacts along the great pilgrimage roads. It is meant to represent the contrast between the demon and Saint Michael Archangel at the time of the Last judgment: Satan tries to hook towards him the scale to conquer another soul besides one already glimpsing under his tail.
In the interior with a single aisle are set two medieval marble holy water fonts and on the wall on the left a few fragments of 15th century frescos.
The present appearance of the church is partly due to works carried out between 1930 and 1940, restoring Romanesque features.