43043 - Borgo Val di Taro (PR)
open by prebooking by calling the Tourist information office of Borgotaro tel. +39 052596796.
the Church of San Cristoforo is quoted for the first time in 1221 with the nearby Church of San Pietro, as a dependent chapel of Pieve of San Giorgio. The Church standing on an ancient street, that is a parallel and alternative route of via Francigena of Monte Bardone, come from Bardi to Lunigiana through the Bratello Pass.
The Church dates back to the 10th century, it was altered between 14th and 19th centuries and the structure was rebuilt few years ago.
The presbytery has a barrel vault and the archaeological excavations brought to light the original structure of the church with ancient apse and foundation of romanesque church tower.