Borgo Pipa, 1/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)
Phone: +39 0521287195
Closed until further notice
the historical apothecary, dating back to 1201, can be found in the west side of the monastery of San Giovanni. Run by Benedectine monks, the apothecary remained in use until 1766. Bought by the State, it was restored and opened to the public in 1959.
In the 16th-17th century interior decorated by frescoes, a large collection of apothecary vases is displayed on ancient wooden shelves: tall and cylindrical albarelli, flasks, jugs and mortars for the preparation of remedies.
The monks’ dispensary is divided into three rooms: the Room of Fire (Sala del fuoco) dominated by a large counter, the Mortar room (Sala dei mortai) frescoed with images of masters of medicine frescoed in the lunettes and the Room of the Sirens (Sala delle Sirene) dedicated to Parma’s masters of medicine and pharmacology.