Piazza della Pilotta, 9/a - 43121 - (PR)
Phone: +39 0521220400
open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10.30am to 7pm (last entrance at 6pm).
Open on Sunday 31 March (Easter) and Monday 1 April. Closed on Wednesday 3 April 2024.
The visit of the new area of the Archaeological Museum will take place for groups of up to 30 visitors on an hourly basis at 10.30-11.30-12.30-13.30-14.30-15.30-16-30-17.30.
Full price: 18 euros
Reduced price for groups: 14 euros (groups of adults 10-30 people)
Discount for parents with children aged 18 to 25: 14 euros
Reduced from 18 to 25 years 2.00 euros
Free for under 18s.
Admission to the Complex is provided both by direct purchase at the ticket office in the Voltoni area, which will remain open from 10.30 am to 5.45 pm, and by pre-sale on the Ticka platform at the link https://pilotta.ticka.it/
Free entry on the first Sunday of the month for the event Domenica al Museo.
The Pilotta palace, huge palace symbol of the power of Farnese, is nowadays a unique Monumental complex.
The Archaeological Museum, the National gallery, the Farnese theatre and the Palatina Library, united by an ancient history, with collections rich in small and great treasures, and then separated in time, they now find their unity, giving life to a cultural and scientific center that opens up to a new dialogue with the citizens.
Unique ticket and opening times for the following places: National gallery Started by the Dukes of Parma, Don Philip and Don Ferdinand of Bourbon, it was subsequently enriched by the acquisitions made by Marie Louise of Austria, thereby originating the important collections of the picture gallery. The collections currently include works from the 13th to the 19th centuries, by several schools and masters. Works by the Emilian school of the 15th and 16th centuries are particularly important (Correggio, Parmigianino, Cristoforo Caselli, Alessandro Araldi); the Italian Mannerist school (Bronzino, Domenichino, Tintoretto); the Emilian and Flemish schools of painting from 15th to 17th centuries (Annibale and Lodovico Carracci, Schedoni, Lanfranco); the Emilian school of painting of the 17th and 18th century (Guercino, Cignani, G. M. Crespi); Neapolitan 18th century painting; Venetian 18th century painting (Tiepolo, Pittoni, Canaletto, Bellotto); French 18th century painting; Parmesan painters of the 19th century (Borghesi, Carmignani, Boccaccio, Barilli).Among the most noticeable pictures in the Gallery are the Head of a Young Girl, attributed to Leonardo da Vinci, the Portrait of Erasmus of Rotterdam by Hans Holbein the Younger and the Madonna della scodella and Madonna di San Girolamo by Correggio.
“The 19th century and the myth of Correggio” is mainly a tribute to two fundamental figures of the Parma history: Maria Luigia d’Asburgo, Duchess of Parma, and the engraver Paolo Toschi.
Farnese theatre The theatre Farnese, one of the most beautiful historical theatres in Italy, was built between 1618 and 1619 at the order of Ranuccio I with the aim to pay homage to Cosimo II de Medici, who had planned to stop in Parma during a journey towards Milan. The journey never took place and the theatre, built in the former arms room of Pilotta palace, was only opened in 1628 for the wedding of Margherita de Medici and Duke Odoardo Farnese, with mythological and allegorical performances and a spectacular naumachia.G.B. Aleotti, the architect, based his design on Palladio’s theatre Olimpico in Vicenza: horseshoe shaped stalls are surrounded by two tiers of loggias with Palladian windows, the lower row Doric and the upper one Ionic, topped by a balconied gallery. The stage was equipped with an innovative system of movable scenery and gallerie, the first example of such stage machinery in the history of italian theatres. Special effects were used to recreate land and sea not only on the stage but also in the huge auditorium. A Corinthian proscenium is decorated by the Duke’s coat of arms and an inscription dedicated to Bellona and the Muses.The theatre, built out of wood, plaster, straw and scraps of fabric, fell into a state of disrepair after the last performance in 1732 and was almost completely destroyed by Allied bombing in 1944. It was rebuilt in 1950 using the same materials.
National archaeological museum the Ducal museum of antiquities was founded in Parma in 1760 by Don Philip of Bourbon in order to preserve the finds from excavations carried out at Veleia, a small Roman town on the Apennines near Piacenza. The Tabula Alimentaria of Emperor Trajan, containing directions for the maintenance of poor children, had been discovered there by chance and is still exhibited in the museum. During the French rule, at the beginning of the 19th century, it was stripped of its most prestigious items, which were to be returned only after the Congress of Wien. Under Marie Louise, the collections were extended thanks to important purchases. Since the Unity of Italy, it has also housed a study and research center in the field of Paleontology. Currently it’s possible to visit the Hall of Ceramics and the Egyptian Section.
Bodoni museum entirely devoted to the typographer Giambattista Bodoni, who invented new typographical characters, later known as Bodonian, and as the head of Parma Royal Printing Works from 1768, managed to transform it in an international printing centre endowed with excellent quality standards.Here are preserved about 80.000 original tools and items: punches, presses, perforating dies, the original matrixes and boxes of alphabet of the Printing Works, still used today for printing particularly precious works. In the archive is kept a collection of works and rare prints: among them, the most precious is certainly the greek version of Iliad printed in 1808.