Vicolo S. Alessandro, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)
Phone: +39 0521231169
open from June to October every day from 9.30am to 12.00pm and from 3.00pm to 5.00pm. Service from June to October on Sunday at 9.30am. Closed from November to May.
The church, existing already in 837, was rebuilt in 1527 on a project by Bernardino Zaccagni.
The interior was completely modified in 1622 by Giovan Battista Magnani, who created one of the most meaningful works of the late Mannerism in Parma, giving it the shape of the arch of triumph and adorning it with precious marbles, in a mix of architectural and pictorial features.
From this point of view the high altar is very important for the peculiarity of the sketch and the great variety of marbles used.
The bell tower too (1626) is by Giovan Battista Magnani, while the facade has been remade in neoclassic style in 1784.
The interior has only a nave with daring architectural perspectives with figures and angels in the central panels. The nave is by Michael Colonna (1625). The body of Saint Alexander is kept in the urn of the high altar, where the copper and silver tabernacle is also by Magnani. The dome was frescoed in 1627 by Alexander Tiarini.