Strada della Repubblica, 76 - 43121 - Parma (PR)
Phone: +39 0521233801
open every day from 9.00am to 12.00am and from 4.00pm to 6.00pm.
The church of the Holy Sepulchre was built in 1257 in place of a former one, dating back to 1100 and mentioned the first time in 1136.
Built in Gothic style, it has been broadly altered and the Gothic little windows are now only on the left side. In 1506 the church was adapted to the Renaissance taste, decorating the portal and the windows and inserting sandstone pilasters carved by Bartolomeo Pradesoli. Other changes were made in 1600 and 1701, while the right side was restored according to the Neoclassic style following a design by Anthony Brianti in 1780.
The Baroque bell tower was erected in 1616 on a project by Simone Moschino.
In the interior, the only nave with Gothic arcades has five chapels on both sides and two chapels parallel to the sanctuary. The beuatiful wooden ceiling was carved by Lawrence Zaniboni and Giacomo Trioli between 1613 and 1617. Above the arcades are great pictures painted by pupils of Lionello Spada in the first two decades of the 17th century. The stations of the Cross are by the sculptor Giuseppe Carra. The sacristy is furnished with some pieces of local handcraft of the 17th and 18th century. Above the altar: the Madonna with Jesus, St. Giovannino and Angels by Gerolamo Bedoli Mazzola, St. Agostino in throne of Alexander Mazzola’s school.
The cloister of the ancient convent of the Lateran Canons, annexed to the church, belongs now to the Maestre Luigine. The elegant cloister in Renaissance style was rebuilt between 1493 and 1495 by Ziliolo from Reggio; the capitals and the columns are by Anthony Ferrari d’Agrate, while the terracotta cornice with festoons and heads of angels was manufactured in Cremona.