Piazzale Santa Croce - 43125 - Parma (PR)
Santa Croce gate
Commissioned by Paolo III in 1545, the building was probably designed by Benedetto Zaccagni, known as Torchiaro, as the following epigraph still shows today: Paulo III Farnesorium Famiglia Pont. Max. and underneath it, Sancte Crucis. Six decorated rooms were added by the Farnese family in the second half of the 16th century.
Build near the church with the same name at the end of strada d’Azeglio.
St. Francesco and Barriera Bixio gate
the restoration and the present shape of St. Francesco gate is due to Duke Ottavio Farnese (1562). Once the seat of the museum dedicated to Risorgimento, it shows in its upper part Baroque features and two statues representing Law and Justice.
In the second half of the 19th century, to commemorate the union of Parma to the kingdom of Italy, the ancient gate was replaced by an artistic barrier designed by Angelo Angelucci.
Made of three great gates among four wide pillars, surmounted by symbolic stone statues of stone with two small lions resting their feet, the barrier has two Doric style buildings at the sides.
The last statue on the right is the allegorical depiction of a woman by Cristoforo Marzaroli.