43121 - Parma (PR)
Arturo Toscanini’s monument
Bronze monument work of the sculptor Maurizio Zaccardi, unveiled in 2007.
The work of art is located in front of the Centre of music production Fondazione Arturo Toscanini, in the Eridania park, right in front of the Auditorium Niccolò Paganini.
Benedetto Antelami’s Deposition
set in the right transept of the Cathedral of Parma, the Deposition of Christ carved by Antelami is a masterpiece of Italian art clearly showing influences from Romanesque Provence.
The deposition dates to 1178, two decades before Antelami started working at the statues of the months, zoophorus and seasons decorating the Baptistery.
Recent studies suggest that the stone actually depicts the symbolic marriage of Christ to the Church, represented by the female figure on the left carrying a banner of victory and a chalice, while the figure on the right, to whom the Archangel Raphael bows in defeat, rejects the synagogue.
Above the deposition an inscription reveals the year of execution and name of the sculptor.
he monument dedicated to painter Antonio Allegri also known as Correggio is located next to the Town Hall palace in Garibaldi square. It was sculpted by Agostino Ferrari in 1870.
Hercules and Anteus monument
The only surviving statue among those adorning the Ducal Park at the time of the Farnese family, the copper group depicting Hercules and Anteus has been nicknamed by Parma citizens I du brasè, the two embraced.
Cast by Flemish Teodoro Vanderstruck between 1684 and 1687 for the great fountain basin placed in front of the Ducal Palace, it was moved into the inner court of the seat of State money coinage in the second half ot the 18th century and then, during Napoleon’s rule, on the island at the centre of the small lake in the Ducal Park.
The group was later relocated next to the Town hall, on a fountain designed by Paolo Toschi in 1829 and, finally, in the court of the recently restored Cusani Palace.
Monument to Filippo Corridoni
Located at the beginning of Via D’Azeglio on the left after crossing the Ponte di Mezzo, the monument to Filippo Corridoni, on the square named after him, formerly known as Rocchetta, was unveiled in 1927.
The craft, of decò inspiration, was created by the architect Mario Monguidi, while the marble and bronze statues are by Alessandro Marzaroli.
It is 13 meters high and it stands on a base made of porphyry steps.
From the squared base with four heads fused in marble, four eagles and four sentences by Corridoni, rises up the white stele with allegorical alto-rilievos (Faith, Love, Poverty, Revolutionary blaze) on the four faces.
The statue of the First World War hero is made of bronze and it’s 4,50 meters. The epigraph is by Ildebrando Cocconi.
The monument to Filippo Corridoni, of decò inspiration, was designed by the architect Mario Monguidi and realized by Alessandro Marzaroli.
Monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi
standing in the middle of the square, the statue by Davide Calandra, commemorating Garibaldi, was erected in 1893.
Monument to Padre Lino Maupas
the monument celebrates Padre Lino, a simple francescan monk who dedicated his life to protect and help the poors. The bronze work was made by the sculptress from Parma Jucci Ugolotti, who also realized other works in the province of Parma. The monument, located in the Oltretorrente area, on Piazzale Inzani, was revealed in 1998.
Monument to Pietro Barilla
Located at the centre of a roundabout at the entrance of the historical part of the city by the Oltretorrente area, the fountain monument to Pietro Barilla was commissioned by the Barilla family to the sculptor Pietro Cascella, within a collaboration with the artist that included the restoring of the Barilla factory.
Opened on the 13th of January in 1994, it was a will of Pietro Barilla to be a monument to the Via Emilia but he couldn’t see it released because he died the year before by a heart attack.
Monument to the Barricate
the monument is a tribute to the working class antifascists led by Socialist Party MP Guido Picelli who confronted Italo Balbo’s fascists for six days in the Oltretorrente area in August 1922. The wooden frames and granite blocks with sentences and images carved in stones are like an open book reminding us of the barricades, trenches and barbed wire defences that men and women, old and young people built using any material available, from cobblestones and tram tracks to timber and iron girders, taking to the streets united in a single will to resist and fight.
Installed in Piazzale Rondani in 1997, the monument was designed by architect Luca Monica.
Monument to the fool Sicuri
the work is a creation of the sculptor Maurizio Zaccardi and it’s dedicated to Enzo Sicuri, who has been defined the sidewalk philosopher.
Sicuri used to live on the streets of Parma wearing a paper hat and clothes made out of sacks or black fabric or plastic. He also used to ride a bike or drive a handcart to carry around the paper that he collected in order to sell it to the paper factories for a few cents.
The monument was unveiled in October 2004, by the Municipality of Parma, and on that occasion has been published a book about his life entitled Il testamento di Sicuri by Tiziano Marcheselli.
Projected both in the architectural and figurative part and entirely executed by Giovanni Chierici, it was inaugurated in 1879. The monument consists of two parts: the fountain and the statue.
Frames and mouldings decorate the quadrangular three floors base. The fountain occupies the first two.
From the east and west faces of the inferior plan stick out two tubs in the shape of shell, that receives the water from the mouth of two female heads, graven in high relief, in the second floor within round frames.In the other two faces are represented the municipality, that erected the monument, and the Costantinian order, that contributed to the expenses.
The last of the three floors, with coats of arms of the two corporate body financiers, does duty for a pedestal.The marbles were free provided by the Academy of Arts of Parma, with the exception of the statue purchased by the sculptor.
The monument is located in the Piazzetta of the Church of the Steccata, on the left side of the building, a few meters from the main square.
conceived by Lamberto Cusani (1920), the part in marble almost totally prepared by the soldiers and legionaries of the Scuola di applicazione di Fanteria di Parma, the part in bronze modeled by Ettore Ximenes, melted at the military arsenal in Turin with the metal taken from enemy, the monument was inaugurated on the 27th of September 1931 at the presence of king Vittorio Emanuele the Third.
A high column with capital in cement faced with marble from Verona is risen by a solid plinth made of stone from the Grappa.
A bronze frieze winds the shaft on which a long sword adheres. A winged female figure, placed on a bronzy sphere – supported by the capital – represents the Victoria and concludes the 10 meters column.
The monument is located along Avenue Toschi, proceeding from the railway station toward the city center, on the right side.
Vittorio Bottego monument
This monument, which dates back to 1907, is work of the sculptor architect from Palermo Ettore Ximenes and it was projected for free because of the friendship which bound the sculptor to Vittorio Bottego.
An ample tank gathers the waters gushing out from the monument formed by a tall boulders pedestal, which on the bronze statue rises from, Bottego in colonial troops uniform facing toward East. By the sides, the two Gauloises warriors represent the rivers Giuba and Omo.
The monument is situated in Piazzale dalla Chiesa, in front of the railway station.
In the province:
Monument to the pork
the monument, a work by the sculptor Giuseppe Bonatti and desired by the Municipality of Felino and the Felino week Committee, is positioned since 6 September 2003 near the park close to the square of Felino.
A simple pedestal and a script, short but meaningful, celebrating the pork, an animal that is famous all over the world, together with those who know its importance: the population of Felino and of the Parma territory in general.
The monument is there to be touched and pet, exactly as the noble animal that is the pork, a familiar, farm, domestic animal.
Monument to Giovanni Guareschi
the sculpture dedicated to Giovannino Guareschi was unveiled on 1 May 2008, the year of the National celebrations of his birth. Commissioned by the Municipality of Roccabianca and the collaboration of Guareschi’s daughter and son Carlotta and Alberto, the work is made of bronze and it’s 190 centimeters high, located in front of the Museum dedicated to the writer.