Founded in 1888 in the former convent of the Carmine and dedicated to Arrigo Boito, the Conservatorio has its origins in the Music school established by Marie Louise of Austria in 1819 and enlarged in 1825, where students could learn how to play an instrument: violin, oboe, flatus, double bass, clarion and bassoon, piano and composition, cello, horn, trumpet and trombone. Among the students who attended the school, it is worth to remember: composer and orchestra conductor Giovanni Bolzoni (1841-1919), conductor Cleofonte Campanini (1860-1919), the great conductor Arturo Toscanini (1867-1957) and Ildebrando Pizzetti (1880-1968).
The Music Library of the Conservatorio, created in 1889, is a specialized section of the Palatine library. Among its funds are kept: the music archive of the R. School of Music; music archive of the Bourbon-Parma family; music archive of Marie Louise of Austria; music books and music literature from funds of the Palatine Library (among them the Libro di Vihuela by Luis Milan, the Fronimo by Galilei); music archive of the Earl Stefano Sanvitale.
The palace, of remarkable architecture, is made from a former convent, with a cloister that is worth a visit.
Nowadays, the ancient Church of Santa Maria del Carmine, next to the Conservatory, houses the Auditorium of Carmine.
At the Conservatory there is also a room hosting a precious heritage about the life of Arturo Toscanini. The studio can be visited on reservation by calling the Conservatory tel. +39 0521381911.